draw from something from nature – leaves, flowers, vines, etc.
divide the composition in half.
one half, they will include all of the details, focusing on lines, texture and other details – positive space.
the other half, they will paint the background and leave the other space white – negative space.
students may choose a color or black & white scheme
– bring in an object or use a photo. (How to choose a subject)
– lay out your composition on your paper. use most of your paper.
– draw your object lightly in pencil and divide the composition in half.
– paint the negative space on one half. finish details and textures of the positive space on the other half.
– if you choose to use black & white, use a regular graphite pencil for the drawing side.
-if you choose to use color, use color pencils to complete the drawing side. the lines of the positive side should match the background color of the negative side.
Student will be graded on:
Student chose an appropriate object for this project to draw and paint
All or a part of the object is represented and utilizes the paper well.
The project is done neatly. Paper is free of pencil lines, smudges, folds, tears.
Space and details:
The positive space has details & texture. The negative space is painted neatly and the color scheme matches on both side (color v.B&W)
Time in class was used daily. Questions were asked when problems arose. Student worked to the best of his/her ability. Comments: