Morning Routine Visual Schedule
- Talk with your child about each step of the process and show the pictures as you move through each task.
- Help your child to understand the sequence of events by using “first- then” to describe the tasks in relation to one another. For example, “First we get dressed, then we eat breakfast.”
Clothing choice board
- Present 1 or 2 clothing options at a time.
- Ask different types of questions:
- Yes/no questions such as “Do you want to wear this sweater?”
- Multiple choice questions using different types of clothing such as “Do you want to wear pants or shorts?”
- Multiple choice questions using the same type of clothing adding descriptive words such as “Do you want to wear the blue shirt or the red shirt?
- ‘Wh-‘ questions such as “What do you want to wear?”
- Allow for different types of responses:
- Nod or shake head
- Look at, point to, or touch the clothing
- Point to picture symbols on a choice board
- Produce sounds or words
- Provide a verbal model to reinforce your child’s choice such as “Shirt”, “Blue shirt” or “I want blue shirt”.
- Show your child how to point to the words on the communication board as you say them.
Please contact Dawn Hunt, SLP with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-827-8335.