The Pre-Writing Shapes are typically mastered in this order:
- Vertical line
- Horizontal line
- Diagonal line /
- Diagonal line \
Tips for practicing the pre-writing shapes with correct formation:
- Always start from the “TOP TOP TOP” (this is a phrase I use with many of my students)
- Always move from the Left to the Right
- Add a sound when making strokes to encourage engagement (I use “SHOOP!” with many of my students, as well as “CIRCLE…..STOP!” and “DOWN and ACROSS”)
- Practicing on a vertical surface helps to develop muscles in the arm needed for better handwriting skills
- Use small writing utensils – small piece of chalk, broken crayon, small pencil, small marker. Using small writing utensils encourages students to use a developmentally appropriate pencil grasp
- Remind your students to use their “Helper Hand” to hold their paper still as they write
- Have fun! It is important that students enjoy these activities or they will grow to dislike all writing activities.
Posted in Handwriting, Helpful Links, Visual Motor and tagged fine motor, pre-writing shapes by Emily Dandron, OTRL with .