We are talking about things we like to do with our friends for our last week of summer school. We encourage everyone to do something for or with your friends (or siblings). You could go to a playground, make a card with homemade paint, or make fruit smoothies. Be sure to check out our ancillary slides with videos and songs as well as our recorded therapy session. Have a great week!
We continue to appreciate interacting with those who are able to join us during our live sessions! Please share our recorded session or our slides with your child and enjoy the videos and songs together! In our session we demonstrate how to make sensory bottles and bags at home with your child.
- Start by putting SOME of the ingredients in the bottle or the bag and ask your child is she wants “more”. You may need to provide a verbal model by saying “more” or “I want more” as well a visual model by making the sign with your hands. You could also verbally model “yes” with a head nod and “no” with a head shake.
- Have your child help you look for objects around the house to put in the bottle/bag or provide options for him to make a choice between 2 objects. Hold up 2 objects and have him use his preferred mode of communication to choose such as eye gaze, pointing, reaching and taking hold of the object, or verbalizing.
- Extend the activity by giving many choices of color, size, shape, and quantity. Please see examples below.
- When you see a decrease in your child’s attention ask her if she is done. You may need to provide a verbal model by saying “done” or “I’m all done” as well a visual model by making the sign with your hands. You could also verbally model “yes” with a head nod and “no” with a head shake.
- Enjoy! Contact me if you have any questions at email@example.com. 🙂
- Color choice: “Do you want blue glitter or red glitter?”
- Size choice: “Do you want a small paper clip or a large paper clip?”.
- Shape choice: “Do you want a square foam sticker or a circle foam sticker?”
- Quantity choice: “Do you want 5 beads or 10 beads?”
Words of the Week = MORE, DONE
We really enjoy seeing everyone during our live sessions! Please share our recorded session and/or our slides with your child if you were not able to attend or as a review if your child attended!
iPad app for MORE practice = Feed Maxi
Helpful tip: Use GUIDED ACCESS on iPads to lock a single app so your child cannot click out of the app.
We have really enjoyed seeing students during our video calls! If you were unable to join us for our group therapy sessions this week please share our slides and/or our recorded session with your child. Let us know if you are unable to attend your child’s scheduled group time and we can schedule an individual session with your child.
I LIKE bike riding!
Please enjoy these bike videos with your child! After listening to each song you could ask your child if he liked the song and/or if he likes to bike ride and allow him time to respond by nodding his head “Yes I LIKEd it” or shaking his head “NO I didn’t like it”.
I LIKE swimming!
Please enjoy these swimming videos with your child! After listening to each song you could ask your child if she liked the song and/or if she likes swimming and allow her time to respond by nodding her head “Yes I LIKEd it” or shaking his head “NO I didn’t like it”.
If you weren’t able to join us for our sessions this week please check out a recording of our OT/PT/Speech group session. We hope you LIKE it!
Words of the Week = LIKE, NO
Welcome back friends! We are starting our group therapy Google Hangouts this week! You should receive links to join the video meetings from your classroom teachers.
I have attached our Google Slide presentation for you to share with your child with a couple of bonus songs! You could read it to your child and enjoy listening to the songs together.
Practice the movements of the songs and show your child how to respond to the questions by using his or her primary mode of communication. Modes of communication include eye gaze (look at ‘like’ or ‘no’ symbols), body movements (nod head ‘yes’ or shake head ‘no’), gestures (point to ‘like’ or ‘no’ picture symbols, put thumbs up or down), or vocalizations (“like”, “yes”, “no”). Our core vocabulary words for this week and next week are ‘Like’ and ‘No’.
We hope to see you all soon! Please let us know if you have any questions!
Your therapy team,
Letrisha Stallard (PT), Emily Dandron (OT) and Dawn Hunt (SLP
I LIKE homemade playdough!
Point to NO on your core vocabulary communication board every time you hear NO in these songs and books. Try to watch and listen to at least 1 NO song and 1 NO book everyday this week! Enjoy!
NO songs & video
- NO Core Vocabulary Song by Speech and Language Songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1t5jEwc-yE
- “NO NO” Play Safe Song by Cocomelon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAP3yilxmdY
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by The Kiboomers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkGrKW7D29c
- NO, David! AAC song book by Swingsetmamas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEt1SiaXeVo
- Seasame Street – The Count gets Oscar to say “NO” 17 times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76f19BfPrfM
- NO David by David Shannon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTb_Vi2VFU
- My NO, NO, NO Day! by Rebecca Patterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYko8CS6jE
- Stop, Go, Yes, NO! by Mike Twohy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOsFsZdaTM
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DyUk5OFUJ0
- NO Place Like Home by Ronojoy Ghosh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOmAa__y_Ak
What do you LIKE to do inside?
I LIKE Google Hangouts!
Please join us for our next set of Ancillary Google Hangouts! As a reminder, we will email and/or text you a link to join the video call on the day of the scheduled meeting.
Please send us a photo of your child engaged in an indoor activity such as playing with a toy, playing a game or reading a book. We will include it in our slide show and talk about it during show-and-tell. You can send photos to my email at firstname.lastname@example.org or text/email them to your child’s classroom teacher. We appreciate everyone’s participation!
Google Hangouts THIS WEEK
- Ms. Tamika & Ms. Lindsey’s classes – Wednesday, May 20th at 1:30
- Ms. Caitlin & Ms. Melissa’s classes – Wednesday, May 20th at 2:15
- Ms. Anita, Mr. Hesch & Ms. Dorothea’s classes – Wednesday, May 20th at 3:00
Google Hangouts NEXT WEEK
- Mrs. Adams class – Wednesday, May 27th at 1:30
- Ms. Nicole & Ms. Diana’s classes – Wednesday, May 27th at 2:15
Do YOU like to listen to music?
- Do YOU like Broccoli? by Super Simple Songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frN3nvhIHUk
- Do YOU know the Muffin Man? by Super Simple Songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXFg5QsTcLQ
- YOU Are My Sunshine – Sing-a-long with Jen and Patty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwSA_cutkU
- If YOU’re Happy and YOU Know It by Jack Hartmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDRpk9li9I
- Skidamarink A Dink A Dink by Super Simple Songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6916kVhbEZw
Do YOU like to listen to stories?
- Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can YOU by Dr. Seuss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZKQ9ctiHg
- Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do YOU hear?By Eric Carle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehoGdGokXfc
- Are YOU My Mother? by P.D. Eastman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRz7srE2K70
- Just for YOU by Mercer Meyer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBx1scO1S80
- I Wish YOU More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal Lightenheld https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_U31UZQiE0