Hello Room 108 Families,
I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday, as well as a restful Spring Break! We completed another full week of school. I cannot believe that it is already April. I am excited to share all the fun activities we have learned this week:
What Did We Learn About This Week?
We learned about letter V this week! We practiced writing letter V, as well as discussed words that start with V (vest, Valentine, volcano, etc.) How many items do you have in your house that start with letter V? I challenge you and your child to find items that start with letter V this weekend!
We were scientists this week as we explored sinking and floating. The students practiced their prediction and experimenting skills as they tested which classroom materials floated or sank in the water. The students came up with many great ideas as to why some items float and some items sink. Here were some of the ideas:
- “All of the big things float because they’re big. Smaller things sink because they are small.”
- “If it’s heavy, it will float.”
- “Heavy things sink.”
- “If it is small and little, it will float because it’s small. Big things sink because they are too big.”
The students used their knowledge they explored about sinking and floating as they created boats with recycled materials. The students put these items together and tested them in water. Some of the students realized their boats were sinking and quickly had to come up with solutions to fix the problem.
Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent Teacher Conferences are coming up on Tuesday, April 12, Wednesday, April 13, and Thursday, April 14. All families have been signed up for a day and time. It is EXTREMELY important that you attend your conference ON TIME. Please let me know if you have any questions about Parent-Teacher Conferences.
Next Week at Salina…
- Monday, April 11: School 8:15 AM-3:00 PM
- Tuesday, April 12: HALF-DAY OF SCHOOL 8:15 AM-11:20 AM
- Wednesday, April 13: NO SCHOOL – PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES
- Thursday, April 14: NO SCHOOL – PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES
Fun Weekend Activity Idea!
I challenge your child to go on a letter hunt this weekend! Show your child a letter from the alphabet. Encourage your child to find something in your house that starts with that letter. Here is the Alphafriends letter chart to help:
- Cotter Early Childhood Center: https://cotter.dearbornschools.org/
- Salina Elementary School: https://salinaes.dearbornschools.org/
- Michigan Licensing Rules for Childcare Centers: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/BCAL_PUB_8_3_16_523999_7.pdf