Unit 6: Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship
Lesson 1: What is the Bill of Rights?
Big Ideas of the Lesson
- The Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments to the Constitution. These amendments identify important individual rights.
- The First Amendment guarantees freedom of expression which includes freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of assembly.
- The First Amendment also guarantees freedom of religion.
- Sometimes we have to put limits on rights. For example, freedom of speech does not allow you to yell “fire” in a crowded place when there is no fire.
- Rights come with responsibilities.
Unit 3: Human Geography in the United States
-What is the absolute location and the relative location of the United States?