Hi Boys and Girls! Hope everyone had a nice spring break. Hopefully you and your family got outside and enjoyed the weather when it was warm. Remember I would love to hear from you. You can contact me through my blog, school class dojo, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week I have three science activities for you. 1. Coranavirus Challenge , 2. Monster STEM Challenge, and 3. Recipe to make slime. You are to do choose one of these activities for the week, but feel free to do all of them if you would like. I am just asking you to please share your ideas and pictures of your completed work. Send pictures or written thoughts to my blog, school class dojo,or my email at: gruczl @dearbornschools.org
- Coronavirus Design Challenge: (This challenge is for grades 2-5th, but if young 5’s, kindergarten and 1rst grade want to do, please have an older sibling or parent help. Thank you!)
How can you stop the spread of the Coronavirus?
PROBLEM: A fever is one of the first signs that someone is getting sick, but it is hard to tell if someone has a fever just by looking at them.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: people have their temperature taken when they enter a public building. If they don’t have a fever, they are given a sticker with the date on it, so others can see that they are okay.
A PROBLEM WITH THIS SOLUTION is: the stickers get caught up in people’s hair and/or fall off their clothes. They then fall on the ground and need to be removed.
CAN YOU FIND A BETTER SOLUTION? Design something to help us tell whether someone has a fever or is feeling unwell.
2. Monster STEM challenge (This STEM activity is geared more for lower elementary, but of course older students can be creative and do too or help their younger siblings with.
Click on link below. This is a slide show . Start at slide one and follow directions. The slides will walk you through this activity.
3. Make Slime Activity– (For all grade levels)
Make slime time:) I know all year students have asked me if we can make slime. So I am providing you with a recipe. Just click on link below and use your measuring skills and follow directions carefully. Have fun!
***If link didn’t work here is the recipe:
• Clear or white glue
• Two bowls
• Measuring cups and spoons
• Food coloring or glow powder (optional)
HOW TO DO IT:
- Measure out 1 teaspoon of borax and whisk with 1 cup of warm water in a bowl until the borax is
dissolved. You can add ½ tablespoon of glow powder during this step if you want to make glowing slime.
You can get glow powder at a craft store or online.
- In the other bowl, combine ½ cup of glue and ½ cup of water. Whisk together. If you want to add a few
drops of food coloring you can do that during this step.
- Now, combine the borax mixture with the glue mixture. Mix with your hands and watch the slime form! If
you added glow powder, see what happens when you turn off the lights!
- Have fun playing with your slime! To keep it fresh, store it in a re-sealable bag in the fridge
Again, please remember to share your ideas and completed work! Send me pictures to my blog, school class dojo,or my email at: gruczl @dearbornschools.org
Looking forward to seeing your work:)