Happy Monday! Below is the curriculum and announcements for the week:
- New sight words this week! They will be learning the list of 10 words from their homework packet for 4 weeks and will be tested on them at the end of November. The sight word bag words are in addition to the class words. Students are expected to know 100 sight words by the end of Kindergarten, you will be amazed how quickly they learn them!! (Thanks parents for your support at home and to our sight word moms!!)
- We will be working on addition fluency. They did WONDERFUL with sums to 5 and we are now working on sums to 10.
- We will continue with rhyming, syllables, and CVC words.
- Spelling lists come home today. We are working on the ending -th sound. Please encourage them to find chunks they know in the words so they learn the pattern and can transfer that knowledge to the 5 additional words (we talked about this last week and they did great on Friday’s test).
- Math Unit 2 test will be on Thursday, we are finishing the study guide today. We have been working on a variety of problems that imitate the study guide so they have a complete understanding of the concept.
- Things to review: number sentence is just a math problem 🙂
- Sum: How many all together
- Using a picture to solve a math problem! If they are not sure whether to add or subtract when completing a story problem, please encourage them to draw a picture to help figure out what the problem is asking them to do.
- Social studies unit test will be this week also.
- We are continuing to work on fluently reading long vowels and blends in our stories.
- The Halloween celebration will be on Tuesday,October 31st. Parents are invited to attend the party and celebrate with us. Please DO NOT send your child in their costume. We will change into our costumes at 1:00 pm.
Parent arrival: 1:00pm
Costume Parade: 2:30pm
If you plan to attend the party tomorrow and/or the costume parade– please let me know so I have an estimate of how many adults will be present.
- Friday is a 1/2 day for students.
From the PTA:
There was a mistake on the calendar that was sent home. Kindergarten and Young 5’s do not have school on Friday Nov 17th, not the 10th as it states on the calendar. There IS school on the 10th for Kindergarten but not on the 17th.