Literacy Unit: Traveling Near and Far
Reading: We will be reading On the Go (non-fiction), Subway Train (poem), My Bike (poem), Timimoto (fiction), How a partridge got his canoe (fiction). We will continue to discuss forms of transportation and vehicles. We will discuss places to go (travel).
- Comprehension: Review character and setting. Retelling the story (Beginning, middle, end) and asking and answering questions
- Accuracy: Identify the first sound in a word and the last sound in a word
- Fluency: Recognize upper/lower case letters and sight words
- Expanding Vocabulary: Reading from left to right, Reading from top to bottom, Read from the left page and move to the right page. Know return sweep when reading /writing a sentence, punctuation (period, question, exclamation mark), Author, Illustrator
Letter of the week: Ii (review the previous letters learned) We will blend “i” and “t” to make the word it.
Sight word: Go (Review: I, can, we, the, like, a, see)
Writing: We will continue to focus on space between the words. We will make a list of vehicle and categorize if they go on land, on water or in the air. We will also be able to write sentences independently using stems such as: “We can go to the _(place)__. We can go by _(vehicle)_.”
Math: We will be working on greater than, less than or equal to. We will explore using measurement, using clues to identify numbers and review using a number line. We will also create a favorite color graph and identify the important parts of a graph such as a title, numbers and labels of a graph. We will continue to practice counting 0-30. We will practice counting by 10’s to 100. We will also practice adding ad subtracting 1, 2 and 3 to any given number.
Social Studies: We identify what is a good and what is a service. A need are items we purchase and take home. Examples of a good would be: food, clothes, refrigerator, etc. A service would be someone doing something for you. Examples of services provided are: barber, teacher, doctor etc. (We will eventually discuss what would they want to provide in the future: a good or a service?)
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be Wednesday, November 18 and Thursday, November 19 (4:00-7:00)
- Pasta for pennies will be due on Nov. 20th
- Late Start tomorrow: Wednesday, November 18, 2015