Do not go to this website just yet.
Periodic Table of Elements (You do not need to memorize it, but how to get information from it)
Elements vs. Compounds
Reading chemical formulas
Reading chemical symbols
Metals, Non-Metals, Metalloids Properties
Stable vs. Unstable elements
Bellwork : Photosynthesis, Rocks and Minerals
NGSS : Engineering Practices
Students falling behind or not completing classwork or homework will be required to spend an hour after school with me to get caught up. This will either be on Tuesday or Wednesday and students will be notified every week if they are scheduled to attend. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
December 10, 2018
Bellwork: Photosynthesis, Rocks and Minerals
Reading the Periodic Table of Elements, Elements, Compounds, Chemical Bonds
Task 1: Sense-Making Compounds:
Using your Periodic Table as a reference read, discuss, and record responses for the following questions:
- You will notice that compounds like H2O and CO2 are not on the Periodic Table. Why not?
Compounds like H2O and CO2 are not on the periodic table because …
- Why is there a “2” in H2O and CO2? What do you think this “2” means?
There is a “2” in H2O and CO2 because…
We think the “2” means …
- What is the difference between an element and a compound?
An element is ….; whereas, a compound is …
- What is the difference between the chemical symbols CO and Co?
The difference between the chemical symbols CO and Co is…
- What is the difference between the chemical symbols CI and Cl2?
The difference between the chemical symbols Cl and CI2 is…
- What three things are important to remember when writing chemical symbols?
- When writing chemical symbols, it is important to remember……… because…