7 Bellwork pages. These will be collected next week. Bellwork genetics
Watch this. There are some great quotes here.
Vocabulary test next week. A-day Tuesday and B-day is Wednesday. The words and definitions are on the blog March 4 along with 2 quizlet games to practice.
Worksheet about The Common Cold. The common Cold worksheet (1) The common Cold worksheet (2) Highlight the 27 words and answer the questions on the back. These are due Friday for A day..Monday for B day and
Bellwork worksheet about the liger. Liger This should be in your Bellwork notebook. You’ll need it again because we’ll refer to it during a bellwork next week.
Cold vocabulary Tier 2 words. Know them, study them. They will be on the next quiz we have. If you want to make your own Quizlet to study these words, I will give extra credit to the first 3 students who submit it to me. Here are 2 of them.
|virus||very tiny things that gets into cells and make you sick|
|powerful||strong or has great strength|
|miserable||feeling really bad, unhappy or unhealthy|
|struggle||trying hard when things are difficult|
|multiply||increase and make more and more of the same item|
|agreeable sort||easy and does whatever it needs to do|
|alights||lands on and settles somewhere|
|nostril||holes that go inside your nose|
|sniff||quickly breathing in through your nose|
|attach||get stuck to|
|particles||very small piece of something|
|infected||when germs enter your body|
|antibodies||tiny things made by your body that help fight sickness|
|sense||in the same way|
|specifically||a certain thing|
|release||let go of|
|rough||uneven, not smooth|
|ache||hurt or feel pain|
|mucous||thick slime from your nose (boogers)|
|swollen||getting bigger than normal|
|grown||an adult, not a baby anymore|
|clear||obvious, for sure|
|microscope||a tool used to observe very, very, very small objects.|
|avoid||try not to|
|wash||to clean or to carry away (2 definitions)|
|recognize||to know and remember|
cell jeopardy 2019 (1) Play this game and practice for the test
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY
ISN page 30A 1-24 (This was the walk around the room) These are good questions to know for the test on Feb 21 (B day) or Feb 22 (A day)
- Which organelle is responsible for storing waste, water, and food for the cell?
- Which organelle is the “brain” of the cell?
- Which organelles do plant cells have that animal cells do not?
- Which organelle is known as the”powerhouse” of the cell?
- What do you call the thin covering that surrounds each cell?
- A principal is the “control center” of a school. Which organelle is the “control center” of the cell?
- A door lets things in and out of a room. Which organelle acts most like a door, letting things in and out of the cell?
- The jelly-like substance that fills the cell and holds organelles is called…
- What purpose do chloroplasts serve?
- Which organelle contains chromosomes?
- Why do animal cells lack chloroplasts?
- True or false? All cells have cell walls.
- Write a list of organelles that you might find in an animal cell.
- Name the organelle that helps plant cells produce food.
- True or false? Plant and animal cells have mitochondria.
- Why are plant cells more rectangular in shape than animal cells?
- Which part of a plant do chloroplasts reside in?
- True or false? All things are made of cells.
- True or false? All cells have cell membranes.
- The ____gives plant cells their rigid structure and shape.
- Which organelle packages proteins inside the cell?
- ____are like small factories that make proteins for the cell.
- I act like the garbage man because I break down waste in the cell.
- I act like the skull because I protect the nucleus.
Have your ISN and Bellwork up to date.
CELLS There will be a formative practice quiz next week to be ready for a test the next week. Students were told in class that this foldable is due for a grade Feb 6 for A day and Feb 7th for B day.
Worksheet to be glued on page 29A ISN 29A cell worksheet
picture of cell picture of cell and organelles
Videos to re-watch.
One week back after break, and one more week until the end of the cardmarking Jan 18th. (which is a half day)
This week the students took the Language Usage and Reading NWEA test. On Monday and Tuesday (the 14th and 15th) they will be taking the Math NWEA test. The science won’t be until Jan 24th and 25th.
This upcoming week is also mid-term exams. All students were given the study guide for science on Friday. click here if you left it at school —> midterm science
We’ll review the study guide on Monday and Tuesday and then my Aday students will take it on Wednesday and Bday students on Thursday. That will end the first semester.
The second semester starts day after Martin Luther King Day, January 21 (no school) The 22nd and 23 are both half days for students and the 24th and 25th are the NWEA test for science which will be given in my classroom and Mr. Donelson’s class.
Students need to remember to bring a silent reading book with them whenever taking a test in case they finish early.
Welcome to 2019. HAPPY NEW YEAR
Many students have been emailing me about the scientist project. Great to see that so many are thinking about it and working on it. You will be spending some time in small groups where you can do some peer editing and practice your presentation. You should practice your presentation for your family too. The presentations will begin on Wednesday, but I will be collecting the posters on Monday and Tuesday when you return right after the break.
This is the rubric I will be using to grade it. Scientist Project Rubric (20pts)
- _______ Title (Bold and Colorful) (2pts)
- _______ Explain what this scientist’s specialty is. (2pts)
- _______ Have pictures of this scientist working. (2pts)
- _______ Identify tools needed for this type of work. (2pts)
- _______ Where does this scientist work? (2pts)
- _______ Have interesting information about the scientist. (2pts)
- _______ Tell about a real person who is this type of scientist. (2pts)
- Presentation (6pts)
- _______ Speak loud enough and clear enough for everyone in the room to hear and understand.
- _______ Explain everything on your poster.
- _______ Answer questions from your classmates
The first 2 days we’re back will be NWEA testing, Language Usage. Please be rested and eat a good breakfast.