Reminder: There is NO school for Kindergarten and Young 5’s tomorrow. Enjoy the weekend:)
What we did during our week:
Language Arts: We have officially learned ALL the letters and sounds of the alphabet! Now, we will use our sounds to help us with reading and writing new words:) Spelling test List #3: it, in, said, jet, met, pet, set, net, and vet. Bonus words to study at home: wet, bet. Make sure to practice the bonus word (10th word) at home for homework. Our 3rd spelling test will be on Friday, December 21st.
Writing: This month the students will learn about opinion writing and what an opinion means. Here are some examples of our students writing their opinion about the BEST gift ever. The students must support their opinion by using the word “because.” Enjoy!
Math: This week we completed Module 3 Lessons 8-14. Next week, we will complete mid module assessments on measurement.
Science: This month we will talk about seasons and winter weather:)
Social Studies: This month we will talk about goods & services.
Scholastic Reading Club:
Class Code – RKYTJ Order Due Date – 12/17/18
LAST book order for 2018:)
This is a friendly reminder that your Book Clubs orders are due by 12/17/18. You can place your orders online at scholastic.com/bookclubs using my class activation code: RKYTJ
Happy Reading, Mrs. Fillmore
- I am excited to report that out of 22 students who took the test, 18 students received a 100% Woo hoo! I am so proud of each student who worked so hard all week to ensure they were successful on their test! If your child received a 100%, they will write with a “smart” pen all day Monday and also participate in “NO shoes afternoon” on Monday as well:) On Monday, once your child comes in from recess, they will be able to take their shoes off and relax for the last part of the day. Please make sure your child knows how to independently take off and put on their shoes. I appreciate your support in this matter! Also, make sure to wash your child’s socks as soon as they come home on Monday, they may be a little darker than normal;)
- Polar Express Day will be on Thursday, December 20th! Students are able to wear their school appropriate pajamas this day (NO tank tops, shorts or nightgowns). We kindly ask for no slippers, student may only wear school shoes. The students will watch the Polar Express movie, followed by some fun, learning activities and they will receive a special gift from myself and Mrs. Bolger:)
- Please consider buying something from our Scholastic Book Club at: https://clubs.scholastic.com/ Activation code: RKYTJ. The December orders are due by December 17th. There are a lot of great books for your child at a very reasonable price and FREE shipping. Books make for a great gift or even for a family story night:) Thank you to Ethan for purchasing something from our book club!
- Please make sure you are reviewing your child’s classwork each night. Monitoring your child’s classwork is a great indicator of how your child is doing in the class. If for some reason your child doesn’t finish his/her classwork in class, I will send it home for homework to be completed at home and returned the next day. Thank you for your support!
- Please make sure you provide your child with a NUT FREE snack. We are a NUT FREE classroom. Thank you for your cooperation!
- The cold/winter season is upon us, which means cooler temperatures! With cooler temperatures comes coats, boots, hats, scarves, gloves, etc. It is important to teach your child how to properly put on a coat, zip up a coat, unzip the coat and take the coat off. We have a handful of students who constantly need help putting on their coats etc, which means more time is taken away from recess because the teacher is zipping up 24 coats! Also, please continue to practice tying shoes with your child. It is very hard to tie 2 pair of shoes X 24 students a day! That equals 48 shoes a day I would be tying, which would take up a lot of time during large and small group instruction. We are encouraging students to become independent learners and with independence takes a lot of dedication and teaching your child at home. Thank you for your cooperation:)
- If your child is bringing a home lunch, it is OK to pack a juice for the lunchroom! Remember to pack a water bottle each day for the classroom:)
- Please pack your child’s snack SEPARATELY from your child’s home lunch. This will help your child become less confused about what is for lunch and what is for snack. Thank you:)
- Great news! The PTA has a blog for all sorts of fun information going on in the school. I may not have a lot of opportunities for all families to volunteer in the classroom, but the PTA is ALWAYS looking for extra hands to help in the school. Please take a look at their blog and sign up for the fun events they may need help with:) http://parents.dearbornschools.org/haigh/
December 17th- Candy Gram Sales this week (until Weds). $1 a gram
December 20th- PBIS Celebration- Movie Theater/Polar Express/PJ Day (more information on blog)
December 21st- Spelling test: List #3/ LAST day of school!
December 24-January 4th- NO SCHOOL…Holiday Break!
January 7th- School Resumes/ Happy New Year-Welcome back!
Reading Buddies: We were not able to meet this week due to the Kindergarten students not having school this Friday.