Good Morning! I just wanted to reach out and let you know we will be starting our NWEA test tomorrow. Testing will take some time as I am testing in small groups! we will start with reading and then go into math! Here are some ways to ensure success for your child:
- Have them get a good night’s rest. Going to bed early will help hem feel fresh and alert.
- Please have them eat a good breakfast. Our lunch time is very late and eating a healthy breakfast will help them to focus and do their best.
- Please make sure they are reading every night.
Looking forward to seeing and sharing their growth with you! Please let me know if you have any questions!
We will be taking the Math and Reading NWEA during the next few weeks. Please make sure your child gets to be early and eats a healthy breakfast before coming to school. Thanks for your support!
Reminder tomorrow, Friday January 17th is a half day of school and students will be dismissed at 11:45.
Monday, January 20th there is no school for students.
Tuesday, January 21st is a half day and students will be dismissed at 11:45 🙂
I hope everyone had a restful and wonderful holiday break! We have been back for a week and learning is in full swing! I just wanted to touch base on a couple of things;
- We will be taking our NWEA math and reading test in the next couple of weeks. I will touch base with the exact days next week!
- please ensure that your child reads every single night! It is amazing the progress they will make over the course of even a few weeks when they read every night. If you have a hard time helping them with words, then simply sit with them and let the read to you.
- Writing is an essential part of learning. As we enter the second half of first grade, we will be doing much more writing and practicing at home will help your child with this. Here are some ways you can incorporate writing in your day to day lives: Have your child write the grocery list for you, come up with silly stories or poems together an have your child write it down, have your child write a few sentences about one of the books they read that night. If you would like some ore ideas, please ask me! It is not important that they are spelling every single word correctly, just have them write!
- Our math curriculum will now be building upon the skill they learned in the first half of first grade. Please let me know if your child is struggling so I can help them before they fall too far behind.
- Many students are coming to school very tired. Please make sure they get a full nights rest so they are ready to learn 🙂
- finally, if your child is sick, please allow them to stay home and rest. they will get better much quicker at home than at school where there are lots of germs.
I know this is a lot, but I wanted to move forward with the second half of the year on the same page 🙂 As always, do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns!
The scholastic book fair is this week. If you would like your child to purchase a book, you may send money with them. We will be previewing the books today and going back to buy books on Friday!
It is also Miller’s Roller Skating Party. Permission slips will be sent home on Monday. Come and enjoy an evening of fun at the Lincoln Park Skating Center beginning from 6:00-8:00 PM. A bus will be available to take some families to the skating rink, but space is limited. Turn in your permission slip and money ASAP to reserve your seats on the bus.
Friday- Miller PTA Meeting– You will learn ways to help your child grow as a reader. It will really be helpful, so please attend if you can. Also, parents will also be able to stop by our classroom after the meeting. We would love to see you!
I just wanted to post and let you all know that my health is great and I am so happy to be back! I have missed all of your wonderful children so much! Unfortunately, I got a bad bug in my system and that caused me to be ill for some time. I told the students that we can prevent illnesses in our classroom by keeping our hands clean, and staying home when we are sick! I really appreciate all of your support with this 🙂
Hello everyone! Please be sure to complete the parent surveys that are posted around the school! Thank you very much 🙂