Hello everyone! Hope you all had a safe and relaxing summer. If you are still receiving posts from my I blog, feel free to unsubscribe. As you all heard, this year will look quite different for the start of the school year. Therefore, Parents/guardians will need to support each child in developing work habits, completing assignments and advocating for support. Please click on link to read Parent and student expectations as we begin the new school year.
Chromebook Distribution Day!
If your child is attending Lowrey Elementary during the 2020-2021 school year and still does not have a Chromebook, please visit our school On Wednesday, September 2nd to check one out. Every child will need a device. Students will not be able to share with their siblings, as they will need to attend live classes this year.
Lowrey Elem/Middle school Newsletter
School Year Calendar
Below is the link to the 2020-2021 school year calendar. As previously posted on the school blog, the first week of the school calendar has been amended to all half days to provide teachers with additional planning and collaborative time. https://dearbornschools.org/services/district-calendars/
Start and end times have been amended for remote learning. The new times for remote learning are 8:15 am-3:10 pm on full days and from 8:15 am-11:10 am on half days. Students are expected to be online where they will be live with their classroom teacher at 8:15 am daily. Please communicate with your child’s teacher regarding potential absences.
Student Placement & Orientation
To ensure social distancing, we will not be posting student rosters on school doors as in the past. Instead, you will receive a welcome email or REMIND text message from your child’s teacher on Friday, August 28th or Monday, August 31st. It is essential that your email and cell phone number are accurate in ParentConnect to receive important communications. Directions to update your email are here: https://sisweb.resa.net/ParentPortal/
The Lowrey team has worked extremely hard to create well-balanced student rosters-taking into consideration the needs of all students as a whole and individually. If you would like to share specific information about your child and/or your family’s needs, please contact your child’s teacher. Our wonderful teachers are accommodating and understand that this is a difficult time for all our families. Please stay tuned for more information (including date/time) regarding orientations as it will look different this year. We will implement a curbside/drive-up orientation that will entail meeting the teacher and material/supply pick-up. Virtual orientation will also be available.
Lowrey Remote Start Learning
As you may know, we are implementing 100% online learning until the week of October 1st, at which point the Covid situation will be reassessed by the district. Traditional grading will be implemented.
- Platforms: Schoology and Zoom, more information will be shared when available
- Online Hours: full days 8:15 am-3:10 pm
half days 8:15am-11:10 pm
- Schedule: a consistent & structured schedule will be shared during the first week of school. The schedule will include live instruction/breaks/learning labs & independent work times embedded in the school day.
- Learning Labs: will begin Sept. 21 They will be virtual and/or optional in-person support, both 1-1 & small groups. Stay tuned for more information regarding logistics and protocols.
Important Reminders & Dates
- Subscribe to the Lowrey blog!
- We highly recommend that each student have a device to utilize for online learning. Please assess whether or not you are in need of borrowing a school device. Chromebook distribution will be Wednesday, September 2nd, from10 am – 2 pm. If you are unable to pick-up at this time, please email Ms. Sareini @ email@example.com
- If you are in need of internet, please email Ms. Sareini @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Week 1 (8/31-9/3): all half days from 8:15 am-11:10 am, it will be a soft start with the first week dedicated to orientation. These will be scheduled through your child’s teacher. Teachers will reach out to you regarding dates/times. These orientations will be held by appointment only. Stay tuned for more information.
- Lunch pickup begins September 3rd. Parents can now pick-up their children’s lunch from Lowrey’s main doors.
- A list of suggested school supplies per grade will be available on the school blog.
- If you have questions or need supplies, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
- Please establish routines with your child that include consistent bedtime and morning practices and inform them that they will need to be online daily at 8:15am for live instruction with their teacher. I also encourage you to identify/create quiet spaces/work stations for your child(ren) to support online learning.
- Remember, this is a global pandemic and an unprecedented time. We will all make mistakes and we will learn from them.