Thursday, June 11th
Hello Friends, Happy Thursday!! Happy Last Day of school!! This year has been one to remember and definitely unforgettable. Thank you for being part of this crazy ride with me! Remember, our last Google Hangouts meeting will be today at 2pm! Please join us for our last meeting during the month of June! We will discuss more in detail what to look forward to during our Summer Program. There will be a lot of awesome changes that will be happening 🙂 In the meantime, attached is a letter from Ms. Fournier regarding our Virtual Summer Program! See you soon!
Dear Howe School Family,
I would like to take a few minutes to personally thank you for all your support with your children and our school throughout this year. With the unexpected closure, your partnership has been even more critical for our students and we appreciate all you are doing. We are all learning together. Unfortunately, due to the Governor’s orders and the safety concerns related to Covid-19 our summer school learning will most likely continue as remote learning. As a staff we have worked together to evaluate our remote learning program and have made some changes to our provision of services to address areas of weakness and to better serve our students. We are excited to provide you with important information about how we will continue to provide essential learning through the summer months.
As you know, students who receive services in the severe cognitive or severe multiple impairment programs have a high need for continued instruction into the summer months. For this reason, all students are expected to receive instruction as defined by their Individualized Education Plans for 200 school days each year instead of the 180 days provided by the district calendar. All students in our programs will have 20 additional days of school throughout the summer that they are required to attend. Students who have direct occupational, physical, or speech therapy determined by their IEP will continue to receive these services remotely as part of the school day during the summer months and.
The Howe School school day for our programs will run on Mondays-Thursdays beginning on July 6 and will operate through August 6.
Each school day (Monday-Thursday) will be made up of the following:
- A daily 1 hour virtual session held at the same time each day that will include a Class Meeting, English Language Arts lesson, and a Math lesson.
- Scheduled individual consultation with the teacher at least two times each week
- In addition, a weekly therapy block will be virtually conducted during one of the daily sessions.
- Instructional materials will be delivered to the homes of Dearborn residents on Thursdays for the following weeks. All others will be mailed.
Daily attendance will be taken for the daily live sessions and for the individual consultations
- Please notify your child’s teacher if he/she will be absent for any sessions.
- If your child is having difficulty attending, it is important that you communicate with your child’s teacher to work out a plan with you.
- Translation support will be available if needed.
We appreciate your continued support and collaboration. If you have any questions please feel free to call at 313-827-7000.
Tammy L. Fournier, Principal