Students were taken down to the auditorium to take their picture. We also established goals for language arts this year and discussed any upcoming assignments for the remainder of the week.
Students will participate in a close and critical reading of the short story titled “My Name” by Sandra Cisneros. Students will also be shown how to complete mentor sentences in their interactive notebook as well as their personal dictionary.
Students will be shown how to complete a writer’s notebook. Prompt will be displayed in class and added to the blog at the end of the day.
Writer’s Notebook: My Name
Write about your own first and/or middle name. To the best of your knowledge, what does this name or these names mean? Where do they come from, and what do you know about how your parents or guardians selected these names? You may also use the questions below to guide you as you write.
- What is the story of your name?
- Do you use it as it is or in a shortened version?
- How has your name affected your life?
- Is your name gender or culture specific? Explain in detail.
- Describe yourself through your name.
- What does its spelling, pronunciation or associations say about you?
- Are you named after anyone?
- If you could, would you change your name? If so, what would you change it to and why?
Use the rubric below to guide you as you write!