1st, 3rd & 6th Hours
Task 1: Read Ch. 15 Ecosystems
Task 2: Create a meta-cognitive reading log in your science notebook
Task 3: Answer the following questions in your science notebook.
- What is an ecosystem?
- What are the different communities in an ecosystem?
- Why is photosynthesis important?
- How is energy from the Sun useful to an ecosystem?
- What is the meaning of the following vocabulary words? Give an example for each. Producer, consumer, herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, decomposer.
- Explain the relationship between water & sunlight?
- Explain the relationship between Carbon & Oxygen?
- Use the terms producer, consumer, and decomposer to label each member of the meadow ecosystem: grass, grasshopper, frog, snake, hawk, and fungus.
- What process changes light energy into chemical energy (energy that can be used by organisms other than producers) in an ecosystem? 4. How are matter and nutrients cycled back into the ecosystem from which they came?
- A _____________________ is the type of organism that undergoes photosynthesis, converting energy into a usable form of food for other organisms in an ecosystem.
- What form of energy is lost by moving from producer to consumer to decomposer in an ecosystem? a.light b. heat c. food energy
- Research the term chemosynthesis on the Internet. After researching the term, explain what chemosynthesis is. Then provide an explanation for why the statement, “all living things require energy from the Sun” is not true.
BONUS QUESTION: What is the name of the cactus pictured to the right in the e-textbook.