We just finalized our field trip plans to the Plymouth Orchards and Cider Mill. Our class will be going on Wednesday, October 18, 2017. Permission slips and further information will be sent home on Wednesday.
If you are interested in being a chaperone for this trip, please make sure to get your background check completed in the office. You will need to show Ms. Pina a valid driver’s license and fill out some paperwork. It takes 10-14 days to get the background check to be processed. If you completed a background check last year, you do not need to complete another one this year. Per policy of the Dearborn Public Schools, siblings are not allowed to attend field trips.
Until next time…
From year’s past…
Your child will be taking home an ABC book tomorrow. It looks like this:
It will be sent home in your child’s book bag. The directions are located inside the book. For this week, your child is only working on the Letter S. In the future, your child will be assigned more than one letter. The letter book is due next Monday, since there is no kindergarten on Friday. If you and child would like to start working on it tonight, start looking for pictures that start with the letter “s.” Your child may use magazines, stickers, clip art, newspapers, etc. Encourage your child to write the name of the picture below it. Tomorrow when the book comes home, have your child glue in the pictures on the S page. Encourage your child to stretch the word out and write down all the sounds they hear. Good Luck!
Nightly Literacy Homework:
Each night your child needs to practice literacy skills for at least 10 minutes. At this point of the year, it might practicing writing their first and last name, reading books with you, working in their ABC book, etc. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Every time your child practices for 10 minutes have them color a soccer ball on the Nightly Homework. Your child’s goal is to color 5 soccer balls (or more) a week. This will be sent home in your child’s book bag. It will need to be returned to school on Monday, September 22.
Thanks for supporting your child’s learning!
I hope you are enjoyed this beautiful weekend with your family! Here is what you need to know for this week in our kindergarten class.
- Monday: Wear gym shoes for gym! Today we will also go to Art. If you would like to purchase books from the book fair, please send in your child’s wish list (which was sent home on Thursday) along with money in a envelope marked “Book Fair.”
- Tuesday: We will go to Music with Mrs. Baloga today.
- Wednesday: Last day to bring in Book Fair money.
- Thursday: We will go to Music with Mrs. Baloga today.
- Friday: There is no school for kindergarten today. Enjoy the long weekend!
Daily 5: Each morning in our kindergarten class, the students are engaged in a variety of literacy activities. One important component of Daily 5 is called Read to Self. Here is the I-chart we made together:
The kindergartners were able to follow the Read to Self expectations for 14 minutes!!!
What are we doing in the other subject areas?
Math: We are working on developing Number Sense, with a special focus of numbers 1-5.
Science: What is a Scientist? Learning about our 5 Senses.
Social Studies: We are working on How Do I Get Along with Others?
Writing: We are working on personal narrative writing during Writer’s Workshop. The focus is establishing a good writing routine.
Leader in Me: Habit 1-Be Proactive– This habit means that you are in charge of yourself!
But most importantly, we are working on procedures, procedures, procedures! In kindergarten, we go slow to go fast!
Until next time…
PS The office wanted me to pass out the information that if you need to write a check, please make it out to Dearborn Public Schools and not Lindbergh Elementary. Thank you!
Thanks to everyone who already brought in headphones for the computer lab.
These students ordered 1st Day School Supplies Box from the PTA:
The headphones were in the box and your child is all set for tomorrow! Thanks!
I hope you enjoyed the beautiful weekend with your family!
Wear gym shoes on Mondays and Fridays
Here is what you need to know for this week in our kindergarten class:
- Monday: Today we will go to gym and art.
- Tuesday: The students will be taking the NWEA (Northwest Evaluation Assessment) test in the computer lab in the morning. Please send in a pair of headphones, labeled with your child’s name on them. We will go to music with Mrs. Baloga today.
- Thursday: We will go to Music with Mrs. Baloga today.
- Friday: We will go to the Computer Lab with Mrs. Ackerman and gym with Mr. Murua.
We are a peanut free classroom! Please do not send in any snacks, treats or anything that will be eaten in our classroom containing “peanuts.” You may pack something that contains peanuts that will be eaten in the cafeteria only. Thanks for helping us keep all of our students healthy!
Until next time,
I would like to introduce our new student to our kindergarten class. Welcome Zeinab! Your book says it all!
In fact, we were so busy that I didn’t have much time to take many pictures but here are a few taken at arrival time:
Look at these good looking readers!
We had another great day in Kindergarten today!
- If you haven’t subscribe to our kindergarten blog, please check the tiny envelope on the right hand side on this page. If you put in your email address and subscribe, everytime I post something new, you will receive an email alerting you. If you have any difficulty subscribing, please email me at email@example.com.
- A huge thanks to everyone who brought in school supplies. We really appreciate your generosity and will put everything to good use.
- Almost every student brought back their red folder today! Hooray! Unfortunately we didn’t have time to pass out school papers/flyers today. No worries though, everything will be sent home tomorrow. Please check your child’s folder every night and empty out all papers on the “Keep at Home” side.
- Most students brought in a healthy lunch today! Please discuss with your child what their lunch plan is for the day. In fact, having your child help “pack” their lunch is a great way for them to know if they are a “packer” for lunch. If your child is buying their lunch, talk to them about what they are going to choose. Try to use the terms “first choice” and “second choice” with them. I will use the same words in class. This helps speed up the lunch line and saves the lunch lady from all the blank stares. 🙂
- Most students sent in their Dismissal sheets and student information paperwork. Thumbs Up!
This morning sure went by quickly. We spent time going over important classroom, hallway and school procedures to keep everyone safe and ready to learn. Here are a few pictures during arrival time.
Several parents have asked if there is anything else we need in our class at this point. Honestly, I think many of you bought out Target! 🙂 With that being said, here is:
Ms. Wright’s Top Three List of what your kindergartner needs to bring in to school:
- Unframed 4 X 6 family photo by Tuesday, September 12th.
- One- inch white binder with a clear cover.
- One pair of comfortable headphones for the computer lab, please label your child’s name.
Have a great night!
Today we had a fantastic first day of school! All 22 students were eager to learn and explore our kindergarten room.
Here are a few helpful hints for this week:
- Please make sure that your child lines up on the #4 on the side south blacktop. Thanks for doing such a great job this morning.
- Please say your goodbyes to your child outside. Kindergarten is all about being independent!
- Dismissal will be at 11:45 a.m. this week.
- Please pack a healthy lunch for your child, along with a drink.
- If your child would like to bring a water bottle to school, that would be fine. Please mark the water bottle with your child’s name on it.
- I will be doing individual screenings on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday this week. Each screening takes about 15 minutes. Thanks for those who have already signed up for a time. If you haven’t, I will make sure to bring the sign-up sheet outside at arrival time.
- Please make sure that your child returns his/her red folder to school, along with the dismissal sheet and student information paperwork.
- Thanks for all of the school supplies sent in. If somehow I missed taking out school supplies in your child’s backpack today, I will make sure to get them tomorrow.
Due: Tuesday, September 12th: Please have your child bring in a 4 X 6 family picture, unframed. Thank you!
This morning we read the story, The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School by Laura Murray. Then we had to look for clues all around the school. This was a wonderful way to become more familiar with the school as well as meet important people at Lindbergh. Ask your child about where we found the clues and what did the Gingerbread Man leave for us in our classroom.
Yes, he left us delicious gingerbread cookies!
Until next time,
September 1, 2017
My name is Ms. Wright and I would like to welcome you and your child to room 114. This is my 23rd year teaching. Time sure flies when you love what you do! I have many exciting things planned this year in the areas of literacy, math, science and social studies. As of right now, we have 23 students registered to be in our class; 10 girls and 13 boys.
Dearborn Public Schools has a “Soft Start” program for incoming kindergarten students this year. The purpose of the Soft Start program is to provide shorter days and an awesome introduction to the kindergarten teacher and to your child’s school on a part-time schedule for the first week of school.
The start of school is an exciting time in the lives of children and families. Our goal for Soft Start is to make the start to school positive and successful for all students. Thank you for your patience with the part time schedule. Your child will need to arrive to school at 8:35 a.m. and will be dismissed at 11:45 a.m. each day for the first week. During soft start (September 6-8) we will be practicing eating lunch in the cafeteria. Please pack a healthy lunch or send in lunch money to purchase a school lunch. The cost of the school lunch is $2.75.
I look forward to meeting you and your child on Tuesday, September 5 at 8:35 a.m. Our class will line up on the #4 (it is painted on the blacktop) on the south side of Lindbergh. On the first day, I welcome you to walk in with us and stay in our classroom until around 8:50 a.m. Afterwards, our new principal, Ms. Tiba is requesting your presence for a brief informational meeting in the auditorium.
Here is an important link regarding the Dearborn Public School’s Student Code of Conduct:
What does your child need to bring with them on the first day?
What does your child need to bring with them September 6-8th?
- red Take-Home folder (this will be given to your child on the first day)
- dismissal sheet filled out (this will be given to your child on the first day)
- healthy lunch with a drink or lunch money to purchase a school lunch $2.75
Please do not bring school supplies on the first day of school.
See you on Tuesday!
Here is a look at the week ahead with your kindergartner:
- Monday: Have fun enjoying the first official day of summer vacation! Read some books for fun! Write Ms. Wright a letter!:) Happy Birthday to MacKenzie!!!
- Tuesday: Same as Monday
- Wednesday: Same as Monday
- Thursday: Same as Monday
- Friday: Same as Monday
I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful class gifts I received on Friday along with the well wishes. Now I have my first day of school dress already for September and will put my new bag for the beach and top to good use this summer. Hopefully I will keep my new planter “living” for a long time to come.
Here are the last of the birthday pictures:
Happy Birthday Teagan!
Happy Birthday MacKenzie! I thought of you this morning since today is your real birthday!!!
Happy Birthday Jake!
Happy Early Birthday Keegan!
It was a privilege to have been your child’s kindergarten teacher. As I sit here in Room 114, it is not the same without them! It may be a lot quieter but certainly not as fun!
Have a great summer! See you in September (or maybe before at Kroger, Target, the park, etc.)
Here is a picture of our class playing gaga ball in gym! Pretty cool!