Summer is a time for lots of outdoor activity, including camping! Unplug your wi-fi and get outdoors for a camping adventure this summer. No access to the woods? The good news is that you don’t have to head to nature for a great camping adventure – you can pitch a tent right in your own backyard or make a fort in your living room! Here are some great ways to add in some physical activity to your camping fun:
• Grab some pals or siblings and play flashlight tag or capture the flag
• Use chalk on your driveway or paper plates in your yard for a giant game of twister
• Go on a nature scavenger hunt
• If you have a partner, play human Rock, Paper, Scissors
• Try Geocaching or Letterboxing for a local treasure hunt
Is it rainy or you’re stuck inside? Give these indoor activities a try:
• Blow up a balloon or two and play indoor baseball or volleyball
• Use what you have to do some indoor bowling or make your own indoor golf course
• Dust off your acting skills with “bag-o-stuff improv skits”
• And, if all else fails, play some classic camp card games
Nutrition and Healthy Eating
Healthy Camping Treats: Banana S’mores
Camping (at a site or in the backyard) is a great way to soak in some vitamin D while appreciating nature- and today we’re sharing an easy way to keep campfire eating fun AND healthy! This summer as you pitch a tent, make sure to try our Campfire Banana S’mores!
· medium ripe banana
· 1 small handful of mini marshmallows (10-15)
· 1 spoonful of dark chocolate chips
· 2 low-fat graham crackers
· Ask an adult to cut through the peel on the inside curve of the banana, but leave the banana in the peel. Cut the banana in half lengthwise (not through bottom peel); then cut crosswise. Add marshmallows into the banana and top with chocolate chips.
· Place the prepared banana in the foil and crimp closed.
· Cook the S’more packet on the campfire until the s’more is warm and melty (about 5-8 minutes). Use graham crackers for scooping.