Welcome to Ms. Poloni’s blog. On here you will find information about what we are doing in our ELA, Science and Transitional Social Skills classes, homework, field trips and any other special information. Please enjoy as you explore!! Please look at out blog often, so that you can stay up to date as I update you on what is going on. Have an awesome day!*Please make sure to check the Transitional Life Skills tab. I have just uploaded several pictures and videos so that you can see what the students do during work job centers on Wednesdays. The videos posted are just a few of the several jobs that we have for the students to complete. I hope you enjoy them.
Welcome 2016-2017 School Year
Spring Break is next week April 3-7th. School will resume on Monday April 10th. Enjoy your break!
We are doing another fundraiser at Yogurtopia on 1000 S Military Street in Dearborn this Saturday from 11:30 am-9:30 pm. Please go and eat some delicious yogurt. Tell them you are there for Stout Middle School Special Education. We will get proceeds from each order. Thanks.
yogurtopia MOCI Fundraiser
*Parents this is an opportunity for you to attend a Parent-Talk session. The first class is Thursday March 16th, 6:00-7:30 pm.
March 22,29, 30th are the other three dates. One more day may be added if we need an extra day for graduation. All classes are held at ASC in the Board Room. Here is a link with information and sign up. https://docs.google.com/a/dearbornschools.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfFO8pmFxOPaaVrmGRj4W4nAWD1qqq1uPvlgYrkQ6Ko7E33Pw/viewform
*REMINDER: Candle Fundraiser money and order forms are due on Friday March 17th! Remember this money is to help us build our own sensory room here at Stout! We are asking that each child sell at least 5 items! Thanks.
Please check your child’s folder today. In the folder is an invitation to class dojo. This is a new behavior incentive website that we will be using. This will allow you to see how they are doing daily in the class. In addition we will be able to communicate via the message bored and I will be able to post pictures for you to see. Each child has a unique login code so please be sure to use the code we sent home today on their paper.
*REMINDER* We are going on our Field Trip to the Michigan Science Center on Friday October 28th from 9-2. Please remember to bring a bag lunch for the day.
Parent Teacher Conferences Monday October 24th and Wednesday October 26th from 4-7pm.
Reminder: Tomorrow September 14th is Open House from 6-7:30pm
2015-2016 School Year
Here is a video from this weeks unit on personal pronouns. This is one of the multiple center jobs that we did in order to help students identify the correct personal pronoun to use in place of a noun. IMG_0148. Also there are some images of worksheets that we have been doing added to the ELA tab under this weeks heading. Credit to where worksheets were found is at the bottom of each picture.
In the month of April we have a few exciting events:
- The Mi-Access window opens: this means that your child will be participating in the state-wide Mi-Access academic assessment. This is given every spring (used to be fall).
- Stout’s Relay for Life committee is hosting a pop-can drive for the month of April to help cancer patients in need. The homeroom class to bring in the most pop-cans wins a prize! So if you have pop-cans you would like to donate during the month of April send them to school with your child. We will be helping the Relay for Life committee out and returning the pop-cans during our CBI shopping trips on Thursdays.
- Sunday, April 17th from 1:00 – 6:00pm is the Spaghetti Dinner to raise money for Dearborn’s Special Olympics Athletes. The dinner will be held at Knights of Columbus Patrick O’kelly 23663 Park St. Dearborn, Mi. Tickets are $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for children. The ticket gets you a pasta dinner and beverages. The event will also have a bake-sale, karaoke, and raffle baskets. Tickets can be purchased at the door. *This is an out-of-school event that I am sharing with everyone because it benefits many of our students in our program here at Stout who are athletes for Special Olympics Dearborn team*
- Stout Middle School is putting on a production of Hairspray Jr! Show dates are Thursday, April 21st & Friday, April 22nd at 7:00pm (doors open at 6:00pm) or Saturday, April 23rd at 2:00pm (doors open at 1:00pm). Tickets are $8.00 for adults or $5.00 for students. Tickets will be sold before the show or can be purchased in advance from Mr. Baydoun (or send it money labeled in an envelope and I can get the tickets and send them home with your child).
- Friday, April 29th is another Hat Day to fund-raise money for our school’s Relay for Life team. Students can donate $1.00 to wear a hat all day at school. All proceeds go to Relay for Life to help those battling cancer.
Mrs. Nasser (our school social worker) has been working hard to get together a club to unite students with disabilities with their general education peers here at Stout. Today was our first day of this lunch time club.
General education students paired up with our students and ate lunch in our classrooms together (where it is much quieter than the cafeteria). They played a game where they got to know one another. They picked an M&M candy and then had to answer a question based on the color they picked.
Questions included the following:
- What is a favorite hobby or past time?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite movie or TV show?
- What is something you did over the summer?
- What is one of your favorite songs or musician?
- What is something you like (anything you want to share)?
Our students really enjoyed this time with there peers! See some pictures below of the game!
Circle of Friends is scheduled every Wednesday during lunch!
There will be no school Friday, March 25th through Friday, April 1st for Spring Break.
We will see you all on Monday, April 4th!
Please look for a Spring Break homework packet being sent home on Thursday, March 24th with your child. This will be due when we get back from break.
Ms. Korstjens & Ms. Poloni
Friendly reminders about what is going on this week:
- Tuesday, March 15th Parent-Teacher Conferences from 4:00 – 7:00pm in the Stout Cafeteria
- Wednesday, March 16th LATE START
- Thursday, March 17th St. Patrick’s day! Wear GREEN!!
- Friday, March 18th Hat Day – students can wear a hat of their choice from home all day at school by donating $1.00 to the Relay For Life (committee collects donations to support those with cancer).
There is no school Friday March 25th. Also there is no school the following week March 28-April 1st. School will return on Monday April 4th.
There is no school Friday February 12th or Monday February 15th. School will resume Tuesday February 16th.
Next week on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 we will be having Open House from 6:00pm until 7:30pm. When you arrive you will go straight to the school’s auditorium by the main entrance of the building. After a brief message from the Principals you will follow your child’s schedule to visit with his/her teachers. In each classroom you will hear a brief presentation of expectations/curriculum. We hope to see you all there!
September 8th is the first day of school! I am looking forward to meeting all of my new students and seeing my student’s from last year! I hope you all had a wonderful summer! I’m ready to get back to work and working with you and your families! See you soon!