Student Leadership Course Syllabus
Welcome To Ms. Kincaid’s Leadership Experience
Ms. Kincaid – Unis Middle School (313) 827-7703
For class information :http://iblog.dearbornschools.org/kincaia
– Or Google: Ms. K’s Social Studies Experience
-Use the Leadership tab
The purpose of this course is to develop the skills of leadership, problem solving and conflict resolution for students so that they will be able to take charge of their learning, personal growth, be a positive role model for others, and promote future success.
Rules and Procedures
- Come to class ON TIME and prepared with an open mind and a willingness to learn.
- The Golden Rule – Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- Do not be afraid to make mistakes.
- Take responsibility for your action and work.
- Be respectful of each other and the teacher at all time.
- Raise your hand and wait for permission to speak.
- Follow directions as given.
- Refrain from using unacceptable language.
- Food and drink are not allowed in class unless previously notified by the teacher.
- Cheating and/plagiarism are unacceptable and strictly prohibited = NO CREDIT!
Self reflection activities, defining leadership roles, peer mediation, implementing leadership skills, and community projects count for the majority of the grade. Classwork, bell work, and participation count for a smaller portion of the grade.
Homework is given when classwork is not completed. Reading, writing, listening, and speaking will occur daily in class. Students participation and engagement on a daily basis is essential to student success.
Assignments not completed in class will be required homework and due within a week. Late assignments will be given a reduced grade.
Assessment activities or projects will be given throughout the course of study to determine the individual student’s development, as well as, the effectiveness of the teaching/learning environment.
Reminder: Students who are frequently absent miss valuable instructional time, and often struggle in their classes. Therefore, it is important that the student be in class everyday so they do not miss out on the concepts that have been taught that day.
A+ 97.0 A 93.0 A- 90.0 B+ 87.0 B 83.0 B- 80.0
C+ 77.0 C 73.0 C- 70.0 D+ 67.0 D 63.0 D- 60.0
E 59.0 and below
A thick notebook
Essential Skills of Leadership that will be learned and assessed:
- Knowing yourself:
- Identifying your principles and values.
- Identifying your interests and skills.
- Identifying the influence of peer pressure
- Managing yourself:
- Creating a plan
- Time management
- Conflict Resolution and peer mediation
- Identifying Characteristics of Leaders
- Identify traits and skills that leaders have
- Identify the challenges and benefits of leadership
- Develop speech and communication skills
- Celebrating yourself:
- Identifying your contributions to your family and community
- Identifying a vision for yourself
- Sharing your skills and interests with others (Service Learning)
Assessment methods that will be employed:
- Students will demonstrate skills in problem solving and peer mediation through role play, leading Peer Mediation for other students, and written response to scenarios.
- Students will demonstrate their knowledge of leadership skills by making a presentation and written report describing the influence and the skills of a leader.
- Students will create a portfolio that will include evidence of their skills, training and leadership experiences.
- Students will demonstrate their communication skills by make presentations employing speech and persuasion.
- Students will demonstrate leadership by engaging in Community Service by participating and demonstrating leadership as a part of a group in a service learning project. Students will identify a need, create a plan to address the need, execute the plan and celebrate their achievement.