Hello parents and students. Spelling words have been updated on the blog and on spelling city. Students may use spelling city (same log in as study island) to practice spelling words using games and activities. These are great for building spelling fluency and preparing for the test! I paid for this membership and can track how often the students are using it and I want them to get the most out of this resource!
Our focus this week is on non-fiction/informational text. We will be doing a lot of work with a historical non-fiction text this week that they will probably have homework on throughout the week. In math, we are working on adding and subtracting multi-digit numbers fluently using the standard (traditional) algorithm. This is the method we grew up using. We will using this algorithm to solve story problems as well.
This week I will be out on Tuesday for 2 hours and all day Thursday and Friday as I will be a chaperone on the Washington DC trip. Mr. Sute (our pre-student teacher) is familiar with all the procedures and routines that will help our classroom run smoothly in my absence.
Please do not hesitate to email me during the week with any concerns or questions you have. Last but not least, PLEASE ensure you are all monitoring your child during active screen time. Whether they are on your phone, a tablet, or a computer…be sure they are close to you at this time. The internet makes EVERYTHING easy to do, good and bad, and it’s critical we are mindful of this during screen time.
I hope you all have a wonderful week.
***Arabic version at 5pm. English version at 6pm.***
Hi parents, we have a lot going on these next few weeks and I wanted to share with you some important notes to be aware of:
- We have a CANNED FOOD DRIVE going on right now. If you could send non-perishable food items to school with your child for the next few weeks we would appreciate it!
- There is an extremely important PARENT MEETING for all parents on Wednesday, November 9th, 2016 after school. This meeting with be led by Ms. Srour and we will have be hosting an Arabic version (5pm) and English version (6pm) of this meeting for ALL families. A light dinner will be served. No children/child care.
- There will be a final DC meeting for those students and parents attending on Friday, November 11th, 2016 at 2pm. Please plan to attend.
- PTA will be selling Cake Pops to raise money for Washington DC on Wednesday, November 9th, 2016.
- Parent Teacher Conference forms were sent home today, please cut off the confirmation slip that was sent home and send it back to school with your child on Wednesday.
Unfortunately, Mrs. Masiarczyk and I have decided to end after-school Running Club/conditioning for 4th and 5th graders. We were hoping this worked out this year however, as students get picked up later and later each week, our schedules are being affected. We hope you understand and appreciate your support in dropping them off and look forward to seeing the students each Tuesday at 7:45am.
First, I used a line segment to connect the two lines in my letter H. All of the line segments in my letter H were perpendicular. Next, for my A I used two rays and a line segment between them. My letters A’s all had one acute angle and two obtuse angles. In addition, I had three line segments for my N. My letter N included all acute angles. Then I used one line with two line segments for my second A. Finally, for my last A I simply used three line segments. This is how I created my name using geometric figures.
*Academic vocabulary: line, line segment, ray, points, acute, obtuse, right, perpendicular, parallel, intersecting.
Transition: First, in addition, also, next, second, Finally, or last
Our Data Meeting will take place tomorrow at 1:40pm in our classroom (207). Please plan to attend as this meeting is informative and an opportunity to gain more information as to your child’s beginning of year development.
Hello parents! I hope a few of you were able to make it out to Yogurtopia tonight for our Geer Park fundraiser. I found some dolphins there…we had ice cream together.
A few things to keep in mind:
- I have conducted DRA assessments, NWEA in the four subject areas, and administered the 6 + 1 writing prompt for all students. I will be holding a Data Meeting for my parents only (not all of 4th) within the next few weeks.
- Now that assessments are over, small grouping will begin in math and english/language arts. Homework will become more consistent and require more effort. Encourage your children to do their best work and go above and beyond on all assignments.
- The students have a big week of testing ahead: they have a unit test in Science on Monday, a unit test in Math on Friday, and a quiz on Relative Pronouns/Relative Adverbs on Friday as well. Please ensure they are keeping up with homework because it will enable them to have extra practice for these assessments. I do review homework everyday.
I hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing weekend! Good luck to all of our students playing sports or who have games this weekend.
Spelling words for the week have been posted. Please try to download the Remind app to your device, tablet, or phone to receive texts/emails about classroom info and news. Thank you!
Hi 4th graders,
Follow the rubric in the back of your Daily 5/RR journal. Use the Cameron example as a guide of how to complete a Short Answer Response for the following question.
What is the problem in the story that you are reading? Describe the problem using details and examples from the text. You must have all the parts of the SAR to get full credit.
4th Graders, to write a High-5 Paragraph you need to make sure your paragraph includes the following parts:
- A topic sentence that tells the main idea
- Supporting Detail #1-explains the main idea more
- Supporting Detail #2-explains the main idea more
- Supporting Detail #3-explains the main idea more
- Closing Sentence-restates topic sentence/wraps up the paragraph
Whenever I think about summer, the first thing that pops in my head is barbecuing. Barbecuing is my absolute favorite summer activity. Just the thought of that mouth watering smell makes me want to light up the grill. When it comes to barbecuing, ribs are my specialty. In fact, I have my own secret recipe that I use. My family always asks me to make them whenever we plan to barbecue. Every time we have a barbecue my whole family is there. We enjoy delicious food and each other’s company. Spending time barbecuing with my family is my favorite summer activity.