Today, let’s try some family yoga! Practicing yoga requires us to control our breathing and focus on the present moment. It creates more clarity, compassion, and patience – what family couldn’t benefit from more of this!?
Today’s yoga, the Energizing Flow, from the Kids Work It Out program takes students through an energizing breathing practice and series of yoga poses that build up endurance, strength and vitality.
• Video: https://youtu.be/xJskB9jDxkE (Time: 9:44)
• Handout: Energizing Yoga Flow
Today’s Tabata workout from PopSugar will get you moving! This fast, upbeat combination of cardio and body-weight strength exercises requires no equipment, but do grab a towel and a bottle of water — you’re going to need both.
• https://youtu.be/XIeCMhNWFQQ (Time: 31:30)
Today’s “red” activity involves combining the yoga activity with the Tabata workout. Are you up for the challenge?
Nutrition and Healthy Eating
Dine on a dime: Using canned veggies
You know that eating vegetables is important for a healthy diet. But sometimes the cost of fresh produce limits our options (especially when you want to buy veggies outside of their growing season). Did you know that canned vegetables have just as much nutritional value as fresh produce and are much more affordable? When you buy canned options, watch for veggies with added sodium (sodium is used to make them last longer), and rinse and drain the veggies before you use them.
Try these easy ways to use canned veggies:
• Tomatoes are great to add to soups, sauces, or chili
• Add a can of sweet corn and diced green chilis to your tacos or salsa
• Toss peas into macaroni and cheese, salad, casserole, or add to a stir-fry
• Diced carrots can be added into a salad or used in soups
• Chopped onions can be added to any recipe and won’t make your eyes water!