Start your week off right today with some gentle yoga. Then, when you’re ready to get moving, try a KIDZ BOP dance – and play some balloon volleyball indoors or out! We’ve also included some calming stretches that are great for winding down.
- Yoga For Kids: Sun Salutations (Duration: 7:37)
○ Start your day with a nice, calming yoga video that will stretch the body.
- KIDZ BOP Kids – Best Day Of My Life (Duration: 4:12)
○ This is a fun dance video that will get the heart rate up.
- Balloon Volleyball ○ Make a net by tying a piece of yarn from one chair to another. Then use a balloon or beachball and start hitting the ball/balloon back and forth over the net! No net? No Problem! See how many times you can hit it in the air without it hitting the floor. For other fun activities to play with balloons, visit this website!
- Calming Exercises for Kids: Breathing and Stretching (Duration: 3:59)
○ This is a calming video that stretches and rejuvenates the body.
Handout: Strength Yoga Flow
Today’s yoga, the Strength Flow, from the Kids Work It Out program starts with an energizing ‘bunny breath’ exercise and then focuses on strengthening and stretching the legs, hips, and sides of the waist.
• https://youtu.be/ZJNqcBcNTcM (Time: 4:41)
For today’s workout, we’re focusing on training your lower half – with a plyometric workout that will make you work up a sweat!
• https://youtu.be/bmA-avXjhUE (Time: 43:28)
Today’s “red” activity involves combining the yoga activity with the plyometric workout. The yoga helps to improve your flexibility and balance and the plyos will get your heart pumping!
Nutrition and Healthy Eating
Wonderful Rainbow Water!
Did you know that many popular drinks like soda, sports drinks and even juice can have as much as 10 teaspoons of sugar added? Yikes! That much sugar is not good for our bodies or our teeth. Did you also know that water has zero sugar? This is what makes water our healthiest drink. But healthy does not need to be boring!
This week as we work to eat the rainbow, let’s also try to flavor our water using as a rainbow of fruits and veggies. Here are some ideas to make your way across the rainbow try adding:
• RED: watermelon and/or strawberries
• ORANGE: orange slices
• YELLOW: lemon slices
• GREEN: cucumbers slices
• BLUE: blueberries
• VIOLET: blackberries
• RAINBOW: build a rainbow drink by adding any or all of the above options!