We completed our first full week of school. The children have been very busy learning our daily routine. The morning routine of coming into the classroom, putting their belongings away, making a lunch choice, and completing morning work is on track. This week I will be focusing on our literacy routine. Our literacy block is 90 minutes daily. For this week we will be learning how to choose a book that is a “good fit book” for our book boxes. The children will receive 3 leveled reading books for their book boxes. The books will consist of the following genres: non-fiction, fantasy, realistic fantasy. Books will be changed throughout the year as your child continues to advance in their reading levels. I will also be introducing the children to the first component of our literacy program which is “The Daily 5″. The first component is “Read to Self”. The children will be learning to build stamina while reading a book quietly to themselves. We learned the 3 ways to read a book last week which are: look at the pictures, read the words, and retell the story.
It is very important as we begin learning our “Daily 5″ routine that the children are listening and following directions. Please review the importance of listening and following directions in school with your child. Our literacy routine is very rigorous and the children are required to be very independent with their work and staying on task during this time. We will be working very hard this first month of school learning this routine. I will be very firm with the rules and with following them during this time.
We will be continuing with the letter F this week. We were unable to complete all the activities last week.
1. Please be sure to send in healthy snacks for snack time. Some children are bringing in cookies, chips, chocolate candy bars, etc. These items are not healthy snacks for the classroom. Keep snack items separate from your child’s lunch food. The children are too confused knowing the difference.
2. Please place your child’s milk money or lunch money in an envelope or baggie with name and lunch choice on it. If buying milk only, please write your child’s name on the baggie and label “milk money”. Please put the baggie/envelope in your child’s folder.
3. Please send in family photos in a frame to put in the classroom.
4. Each child needs a clipboard for class. If you have not sent one in please do so as soon as possible.
5. Please be sure to send in 3 picture books from home for your child’s book box so he/she will have a variety of books in their boxes. Write your child’s name on the books.
1. Book Fair begins this week. My class will be going on Wednesday. Flyers were sent home last week in your child’s folder.
2. Open House is Thursday, September 18/ 5:00-6:30 p.m.
Have a great week!