This week in 5th grade we will be learning…
Language Arts: This week students will learning about informational/expository writing. While, they are reading each student will focus on a specific reading strategy (main idea, story elements, sequence of events, and parts of speech). During Daily 5 students will continue practicing Daily 5 procedures and focus on learning about various strategies that will help make them better readers. We will be focusing on QAR strategies to help them answer comprehension questions. In writing we will be focusing on writing an informational piece about their personal goals. Students will have to read an informational article set to their level on Frontrowed.com (same login and password as the math) with guided reading questions everyday.
Vocabulary Words- vocabularyworkshop.com Unit 2
Apples- Red book
Carrots, Dragon Fruit, & Eggplants- Blue Book
- Apples group-Wag, six, if, had, bad, around, their, sleep, wash, before (-cvc-short and long vowel sounds)
- Bananas group-Polite, cane, spin, kick, ice, around, their, sleep, wash, before (cvc-short and long a & i vowel sounds)
- Carrots, Dragon Fruit, & Eggplants-Restless, sentence, increase, spectacular, speaker, succeed, defeat, hockey, concede, disease (cvc-short and long e vowel sounds)
Math: This week we will be learning about Unit 1 Reviewing basic math facts. Everday students should go on frontrowed.com for extra math practice. They log in using their first name and their last name. The class code is chams5.
Science: We will be learning about Physical Science focusing on structure and properties of matter mixtures and the scientific method. Research with your child about the Solar system and find out these questions…
- What is matter?
- What has matter?
- What is the scienctific method?
- Why do scientists use the scientific method?
Social Studies: We will begin learning about our country’s government. Research with your child about the Solar system and find out these questions…
- What is a Constitution?
- Why do countries have governments?
Please send a healthy snack with your child every day we have a late lunch.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime (firstname.lastname@example.org).